Senior Real Estate Accountant, Real Estate Portfolio
About The Position
POSITION TITLE: Senior Real Estate Accountant, Real Estate Portfolio
LOCATION: Alpharetta, Georgia
SUMMARY: The Senior Real Estate Accountant of iStar’s Real Estate Portfolio (NYSE:STAR) is primarily responsible for Yardi legal entity accounting (LEA) setup, monthly property closings in accordance with GAAP and proper LEA, assistance with GAAP research and documentation, participation in the quarterly reporting process, interaction with external/internal auditors and assistance with the comprehensive LEA project currently in progress. This position will also contribute to accounting and reporting for Safety, Income and Growth (NYSE:SAFE), a ground lease company.
· Perform complex JV structural setups in Yardi accounting software following LEA and in conformity with venture legal documents, GAAP and tax. This includes knowledge and mastery of more advanced Yardi concepts such as equity rollups, rule sets, entity commitments, allocation sets, cascade sets and advanced budgeting/forecasting.
· Perform property close in Yardi for complicated properties/structures including joint ventures and consolidated real estate assets.
· Assist with GAAP technical research for JV transactions and consolidated investments related to VIE/VOE, noncontrolling interests, HLBV/waterfall calculations, etc.; draft related analysis/documentation.
· Assist with preparation of GAAP overlays for corporate model; assist with running of what-if scenarios for JV assets as needed by internal iStar groups
· Prepare ongoing accounting/reporting for JVs; interact with JV partners
· Perform accounting and financial modeling for real estate assets and JVs as needed
· Prepare quarterly GAAP reports in advance of corporate deadlines
· Perform special accounting/financial projects and analyses as required
· Four to six years of real estate accounting experience, preferably with a public accounting firm; alternatively can have a mix of public accounting (real estate focus) and industry experience at a public REIT.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with CPA highly preferred.
· Experience with setting up and closing more complex real estate JV properties including exposure to multi-layer waterfall calculations/HLBVs, non-controlling interest calculations, VIE analyses, etc.; Yardi experience a significant plus.
· Strong and current working knowledge of GAAP impacting the real estate industry; ability to research relevant GAAP, document accurately and assist with communication of conclusions reached to management and external auditors.
· Current knowledge of new GAAP accounting standards impacting the real estate industry including revenue recognition, accounting for leases and others; ability to apply knowledge to real estate co.
· Extensive knowledge and experience with Excel and various real estate accounting and financial software programs.
· Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills
iStar (NYSE: STAR) finances, invests in and develops real estate and real estate related projects as part of its fully-integrated investment platform. The Company also provides management services for its ground lease and net lease investments. The Company has invested more than $35 billion over the past two decades and is structured as a real estate investment trust, with a diversified portfolio focused on larger assets located in major metropolitan markets. Today, we have approximately 186 employees and serve our customers through our headquarters in New York City and regional offices in Atlanta, Dallas, Hartford, Los Angeles and San Francisco metropolitan areas.
iStar is an Equal Opportunity Employer